Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Wrightson Completionist: Part 7

The seventh in a series of posts highlighting oddball Bernie Wrightson items in my collection.


In 1988 Bernie Wrightson illustrated a four issue Batman mini-series titled The Cult. The story was written by Jim Starlin. It was printed in the popular squarebound "prestige" format made popular by Frank Miller's Dark Knight series. The item below is 6" x 9" cardboard cardboard standup. I guess it was meant for a counter display or it would fit in a comic rack. I recall the image of Batman running as being the same drawing of him being chased through a sewer that was released on a large poster. I flipped through the comics and I don't believe it is an image from the books.

Although this isn't one of my favorite works by Bernie, I recently picked up this display item and figured it was worth featuring in The Wrightson Completionist. Pencil/Ink Comic Artists Blog reviews all four issues of The Cult here.





Bonus: random undated Bernie Wrightson drawing of Batman.



No comments: